Monday, September 12, 2016

Scotty B's Interview With Jazzy



After hearing Jazzy’s voice on Fabolous’ Summertime Shootout mix-tape series I knew I had to interview her.  One problem though, I couldn’t find her online, (shout outs to Google though) I eventually found her on Instagram and found a link to, Bonnie, her EP.  I didn’t know what to expect, would it be the same Jazzy from the mix-tapes?  Would it be something totally different?  I must say Bonnie exceeded my expectations.  If you’re looking for something to vibe and chill with friends, or just ride in the car by yourself then this is the EP for you. 
PS: 

I must say she exudes the type of authenticity in conversation that is oh so apparent in her music.  


Q: How did you get started in music?  

Jazzy: I was always very musical and my friend sent me this beat and I wrote to it and it was mad cool.  I was like “yo I can write songs”.  I knew that I could sing but I didn’t know I could write. That was like 2 ½ years ago.

Q: You’ve progressed that fast in 2 ½ years?

Jazzy: Yeah

Q: What are your musical inspirations?

Jazzy: I love Rihanna she’s amazing besides that I like a real sound.  I feel like Jazz [music] in itself is sort of like speaking sometimes.  I kind of do that, I sing and speak, I feel like it’s really me.  Someone told me that the other day they said “you sound like what you sound like right now in your songs” I’m like that’s awesome, I’m always going to sound better on a record but if you can say that to me then that’s fuckin’ lit. 


Q:  Your music comes from an authentic place.

Jazzy: Yeah, definitely, I wouldn’t say I’m a super fan of anyone, I listen to so much music and it all inspires me really.  I just like to, when I can, be able to relate to it.

Q: There’s a line in the song Show Me “I wanna know why you are who you are” what is the inspiration behind that lyric?

Jazzy: You could get to know a person, but you change from day to day.  So I want to know why you are who you are today. 

Q: So what is the theme for Bonnie?  Are you looking for your Clyde? Do you have your Clyde?

Jazzy:  I have my Clyde. If you listen close enough you’ll get the story.  I think if anyone loves something or someone that much they will ride for it no matter what.  It something everyone can relate too. 

Q:  So you’re from New Jersey?

Jazzy: Yeah 

Q:  Are you planning to branch out or leave New Jersey? 

Jazzy: I don’t want to stay in Jersey for too long.

Q:  No, New York City? It’s right there.

Jazzy:  I love the city, if I was to move right now, I’m definitely going to stay nearby, but I’m not going to stay in New Jersey.





Q: I could see you in Atlanta.

Jazzy:  That’s cool; I want to spend time in a lot of different places.

Q: So what’s your situation right now?

Jazzy:  I’m working

Q:  I know a lot of people are coming to you trying to manage you.

Jazzy:  I’m not trying to worry about all of that yet, I don’t like touching that kind of stuff. I will know when it is the right time.


Q:  So, in the future working with Fabolous, is there a mix-tape collaboration? I could see y’all doing a whole mix-tape together. 

Jazzy: [Laughter] I don’t know.  I’m sure I’ll have a lot more songs with him he’s super awesome. 

Q:  How did you meet him [Fabolous]?

Jazzy:  I just hit him up and I was like “I think should we make songs together, I’m pretty cool, just check this out if you want” and he did he said, “yo this is really cool” [laughter] it’s lit.

Q:  You made it sound so easy you just hit up Fab and that was it. 

Jazzy:  I feel like if you’re going to represent something it has to be really good.  I felt like this was really good, and based off what he’s doing I definitely think he’ll like this.  I was just like let me try and shoot my shot.

Q:  I saw one of your online videos ,D4MN, how did you come up with that.

Jazzy:  I was in the studio one day, and it [C Murder’s Down 4 My Niggas] was on the iTunes library and I just started singing Amerie [1 Thing] to it and I was like “this is fire”.

Q:  What is your writing process like?

Jazzy: To be honest sometimes it’s spiritual, it calms me, and sometimes I’ll write to nothing.  I just know when it has to live, when I think of something or write something then it needs to be or I need to work on this. I do get lazy with writing sometimes if you’re not feeling too inspired then you’re just writing and you’re not putting your best work forward. 

Q:  So what’s next for you? 


Jazzy: 2017 is going to be great, I know that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment